Friday, June 14, 2013

Diversity

Today a friend reminded me of the story about students at Rocky Mountain High School in Ft. Collins who, back in January were made to recite the pledge of allegiance in Arabic. When some members of the community complained, the Principal defended the action by stressing the diversity in the school. Now I don't know how many Moslem students are enrolled at RMH but I do know that for over 100 years the public school system worked to assimilate students into an American culture by stressing what we had in common, not what separated us.
I would be more comfortable with type of "learning experience" if every student graduating from a public school in Colorado would have to be able to express an appreciation for American exceptionalism and the Constitution of the United States of America.
My experience in visiting many schools in this state and asking students what they like about America, leads me to believe they would fail that test - in any language
https://chumly.com/n/1d2eca2

No comments:

Post a Comment